Wool Tops

Import of Raw Materials

  • Raw Material for Wool Tops is Greasy Wool
  • Import of Raw Material is mainly from Australia & South Africa.
  • 96 per cent of the Greasy Wool is from Australia and the rest 4 per cent comes from South Africa.
  • Greasy Wool is purchased from Australia through open cry auctions which happens once in every two weeks.
  • Auctioneers evaluate the quality and quantity of the wools and tag them accordingly fixing a base price for the Wool bales.
  • Australian Wool Test Authority provides certificate as per the quality and quantity judged of the wools after scrutiny
  • Wool is generally traded and exported from Australia either raw or processed to differing degrees
    • Greasy wool (the raw material shorn from sheep)
    • Semi processed
      • Scoured wool (washed to remove grease and dust)
      • Carbonized wool (washed with vegetable matter removed chemically)
      • Tops (washed, carded and combed)

Major Exporters of Greasy Wool

Major Wool Top Customers- Domestic

Major Customers in the Domestic Segment are:

Major Wool Top Customers- Exports

Major Customers in the Export Segment are:

By Product Market

Wool Grease

  • Grease is the first By Product obtained after the process of Scouring
  • Greasy wool contains high level of grease or wax that comes out from sebaceous glands of sheep's skin which is transformed by centrifugal processes to a valuable product called "Lanolin", the only source of natural grease
  • Wool Grease is used in cosmetic & pharmaceutical industries.
  • Grease is exported as well as sold in the domestic market


  • Noil is extracted during wool combing process.
  • There are two categories of Noil are 1st grade Noil and 2nd Grade Noil
  • 1st grade Noil is the noil which is extracted in the front by the suction of air during the combing process
  • 2nd grade Noil is the noil which is extracted at the back by the suction of air in the same combing process